Saturday, March 1, 2008

The disappearing walls


This is what happens when your three-year-old starts prekindergaten- But at least my walls and fridge are full of love! This is an art project Braeden did at school for Valentine's Day.


This is our kitchen/garage door. It has exploded with his class stuff. It has his daily and monthly schedule, his own picture, pictures of the centers in his classroom, the letters, colors and sounds that he is working on that week, and whatever other interesting things his teacher sends home with him.

It has worked out really well hanging the things, though. When Braeden can't express himself verbally he can point to the pictures. Although he can almost always tell us what he wants to now. He has made gigantic strides since he started his speech therapy last June and then pre-k last October. When he started therapy in June, he could barely put two words together. It was a struggle for him to do that much. And most of what he said was unintelligible to anyone else. Even my husband had a hard time understanding him about 50-60% of the time.

The sign language was our biggest form of communication before then. Now he can speak in full sentences, and most other people can understand him about 75% of the time, even over the phone.

For those who don't know and may be wondering, I started teaching Braeden sign language when he was 11 months old. He wasn't saying mama or dada at that age, and was barely doing the usual baby-babble. Despite everyone telling me just to be patient, I knew deep down there was a problem. It took me more than two years and finally demanding a speech evaluation from the pediatrician to find out that he has phonological and articulation disorder.

Just another example of how moms should trust their instincts.

Lastly, here is our fridge. I used to like the look of a nice clean fridge, with nothing on the front but maybe a couple of decorative magnets. Now, I'm quite happy with this look:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me miss my kids being little.
Which is your mom and which is your sister in the picture? You all look the same age.

Nice blog. I'll check in often.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

I think it all looks fantastic!! And it encourages your kids to do art when you show how much it makes you happy! (don't tell anyone, but I still have a couple cute little art pieces on my cupboard doors that my kids made me--and they are both in their teens now! lol I just can't stand to see those cupboards blank!)
Smiles, Karen

Valerie Shultz said...

My sister is on the left, and my mom is on the right. I will tell my mom that- she will be thrilled!