Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My new project- cards with flower seeds



The first time I discovered plantable cards was when I was planning my wedding, and I *loved* the idea. Long ago I even had my dearest husband make a screen so I could practice making paper. I couldn't get the hang of it and moved on to other paper crafts.

Then I came across gracegraphic's cards on etsy (the frog, of course, caught my eye with his phrase, "Save the planet... Plant a card." They are adorable cards with flower seeds embedded into the paper. You can find them at http://gracegraphics.etsy.com/.

However, the idea of making paper is still a little too much for me right now. I don't have the materials or the workspace, or to be very frank, the time to learn such a technique right now. Plus, I really wanted to take this intriguing idea and put my own spin on it.

So here's what I've come up with. This is my test project, and we'll see in the next few days if my seeds grow. If they do, then I have my newest line of cards!

I took wildflower seeds and wrapped them carefully in two layers of regular tissue paper. (If this works, I will look for more earth-friendly recycled paper to use.) The tissue paper square with the seeds inside was embellished with one simple flower sticker and taped onto the front of a card. I think if this works, I will "stick" with the tape (get it?) because I want it to be easily detached from the card for the recipient to plant.

Then I took the whole tissue paper square and planted it in the cup. Gave it some nice clean water, and put it in the window sill. So by the end of this week I will have an update. I think it will work just fine, but I wanted to test it for myself to be sure before I make any of these cards
for listing.



I have an update. It worked! After about three days of seeing no sprouts, I figured the tissue was too thick for the seeds to push through. But the seeds have grown and look awesome.


3 comments:

Jason said...

Very good, I have been recently debating the merits of all of the packaging we toss out the moment we get home. This is another level of waste I had not considered. Of course my reasons are purely economical, why go broke paying for pretty packaging, buy used. Anyway I'm a rambler great blog, maybe I'll place an order the next time I need one.

Leslie said...

thats an awesome idea! i wish you the best of luck!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea and just in time for spring too! I can't wait to see them in your shop. :)